Saturday, January 12, 2013

September 23rd, 2007 - A Door to Anywhere

My dad and I entered a store and reserved two tables (which was necessary to buy items, for some reason). Then we started looking around. One isle was nothing but stencils. My dad wanted to know why I didn't want any, I used to love stencils! He started pointing out how cool some of them were. There were entire scenes that could be made from stencils, there were even stencils for drawing intricate patterns on special pens! I felt a little guilty now for rejecting all those really cool stencils...I still didn't want any though.

A ton of kids about my age started showing up, some of whom I knew or had seen around my old school, but most were strangers. The parents' cars filled the parking lot and crowds of people headed for the store. My friend TF was there, and I was talking to her. I looked at the crowd of people, suddenly thankful we already had tables reserved.

***

I was with about two dozen of the kids from the store. We discovered a building with a tall tower connected to it. There was a circular, metal staircase going up the tower. I struggled to keep up with the three or four people in front of me, but they were going pretty fast, and the staircase was steep and narrow. At one point I tripped. The person behind me ran into me and tripped also. Then there was a domino affect of everyone all bunched up together, falling on each other. At first I had been embarrassed for being the one to trip first, but when I saw that it was going to cascade all the way back, I just rolled my eyes and got back on my feet. I held on to the center rail in an attempt to go really fast without losing my footing again.

I was just short of reaching the top of the tower when the people ahead of me came rushing back down, forcing the rest of us to reverse direction as well. I didn't know what they had seen, but whatever it was it meant we were all being held hostage in the building. We were ordered to face against the wall in small groups. After standing there doing nothing for a while, my fear was overruled by impatience. I started hatching a plan of escape.

After a guard passed, my group managed to sneak in a few whispered exchanges. Then I was able to walk by another group of about five people and say a few words without being noticed. We obtained a special item from the tower and escaped from the building. Once we were a safe distance away, we dispersed. I found my mom, who began driving along the freeway. I didn't need to ride in the car because I could fly. I didn't have too much trouble keeping up. I had a lot of fun manuvering around the canyon-like landscape.
A couple minutes later a boy and a girl joined me, one on either side. I don't know them in waking life, but they were both about my age and they seemed familiar at the time. We slowly veered to the left to glide above the freeway. I began singing "Home on the Range" for no apparent reason, and the girl joined in. We sang it twice, possibly because a key change was necessary. I had a little trouble singing in tune.
We made a 90 degree turn to the left and headed out across the relatively barren landscape in that direction. The boy was now on my right, and the girl was further to the right. It finally sank in that flying meant I was dreaming. Instead of getting overly excited and risking waking up, I simply accepted it as a mildly interesting fact and mentioned to my companions that it was a dream. I counted my fingers. Nine. I told the boy to count his fingers. He counted ten and looked at me as if this were perfectly normal. "On one hand...?" I asked, pointedly. He looked shocked and hurriedly counted again, coming up with some other high number.

We were now flying over streams which eventually converged and flowed into a delta. They had a greenish tint to them. Then, flying low, we passed by a small one-story building. Through one of the windows I could see what looked like a classroom with lots of little kids and a few older ones. We stopped across from the back of the building. I said something like, "This place is awesome!" The girl said that I'd yelled that quite loudly. Through the window at the back of the building, people were staring at me. I covered my mouth with embarrassment. Then I figured I might as well forget it, since there were better things to do with a dream than be embarassed.


I landed on my feet, suddenly having an idea. I would conjure up a door and create a scene behind it. The door was not difficult to make, but it took me a moment to realize that whenever I visualize something, it's almost immediately there. I started thinking next about what scene to create. I imagined a square, somewhat shallow pool. I visualized a blue floor and lights embedded in the sides. There would be large, red clay tiles around the edges, and mosaics around that. I didn't know what to do with the sky at first, but then I imagined a pastel sunset. My friends were waiting, having landed beside me, so I decided it was good enough and I opened the door and stepped through.

I was amazed at how vivid it had turned out."Wow." I said. The large red tiles around the edge of the pool were one of the clearest features. The pool was just as I had imagined it, although the sky was a little darker than I had planned, so the mosaics around the edge didn't show up well. When I turned to the left, I could see the setting sun. I laughed and pointed out the lines of a "corner" that showed up because of the vivid colors of the sunset. It was like we were in a giant cube.


The three of us jumped into the pool, which was a comfortable temperature. After going under water several times, I found I could keep my eyes the whole time, which I never do without goggles in waking life. Then I noticed I was holding my breath; from what I had read about lucid dreaming, I should be able to breathe even under water. I put this notion to the test. It was true!

When I came back up, I got my friends' attention and said, "See how long you can hold your breath, 1, 2, 3!" and we all went underwater at the same time. This time I just breathed naturally and could see without even thinking about it. Once the others realized I wasn't holding my breath, they started laughing. Then I started doubting whether I would be able to stay underwater and I got a little water up my nose. I came up to the surface and coughed a bit. "Let's go inside." the girl suggested, so I followed the other two into a room. I didn't have time to make out what it looked like
before I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment